May 03, 2019
The new law will replace the current misdemeanor expungement law and felony criminal offense reduction law. This law only applies to West Virginia criminal offenses and does not apply to federal convictions.
- Age restrictions for misdemeanor offenses has been removed.
- Multiple convictions may be expunged.
- Non-violent felonies may be expunged.
- Felony convictions that were reduced to misdemeanors may be expunged.
- Wait period for felony convictions has been reduced to five years.
- Reduced time line and wait period for drug offenses upon successful completion of a Rehabilitation Program or Adult Training Job Readiness Course.
- Updated list of offenses that are ineligible for expungement.
Stay Tuned! Legal Aid will be updating our website information and forms soon (expected late May/early June)!
We will also be conducting outreach to the public and community partners about how this law can benefit West Virginians!