News and Blog

September 28, 2016

Domestic Violence

In 2010, 12,661 domestic violence offenses were reported to law enforcement in West Virginia. Often when hearing the term “domestic violence,” we think of physical acts, but it comes in many forms—and all of them are ugly. Physical violence. Sexual violence. Threats. Psychological abuse. Harassment and stalking. Confining someone against their will. Manipulative, controlling behavior.

Legal Aid lawyers deal with domestic violence cases every day. West Virginia has strong laws to help provide safety and protection for victims of abuse, but the effects of domestic violence are myriad and complex ( . For example, a protection order against the abuser doesn’t address all the ways that domestic violence can harm a victim. If the act occurred in a rental unit, the landlord may seek eviction because of the violence. Public benefits may be cut off because the abuser won’t cooperate to provide required information. Legal Aid lawyers deal with these cases every day, also.

The Legal Aid web site has information about all of this, in the “Domestic Violence” portion of our Self-Help Resources. Click here to learn about your rights in domestic violence disputes. Find answers to the following questions:

  • Do I need a lawyer? Should I get one?
  • How do I obtain a protection order, and what does a protection order do?
  • What can I do if I am faced with eviction from my home because of domestic violence?
  • And more.

To learn more about how domestic violence affects West Virginians, please visit The West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence. If you or someone you know is threatened with domestic violence, call the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence Hotline at 1.800.799.SAFE (7233).

Different cases have different circumstances and complications. The information on our website is to help you understand the issues that may come up in a child support case and is not intended to address every possible situation.

Disclaimer: This is general legal information. For more guidance about your particular situation, please contact Legal Aid or talk to a lawyer.