Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) Information

Last Updated On: 2/2/2018 8:20:59 PM

What Is The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?

The EITC a way to Get Money Back on your taxes. If you worked during the last year (either full-time or part-time) and had earned income during the year, you may qualify for a substantial refund.

Suppose you didn’t earn enough to have to file a tax return. You STILL might get money back! But you do have to fill out and file your tax return.

Who Is Eligible For the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?

Anyone who worked during the last year and was paid “earned income.” Married or single. With or without children. If you earned money by working last year, you may be eligible for an EITC refund.

There are household income limits on eligibility. If you made too much money for your household size last year, you won’t be eligible for an EITC refund. Find information about the limits here.

How Much Do I Get Back With The EITC?

The amount you get back depends upon two things: the number of people in your household; and how much you earned. 

Click here for an easy on-line estimator of how much the EITC may be worth to you. [It's available in either English or Spanish.]

How Do I Get The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?

You have to file a federal income tax return.

Can I Get Help Filing For The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)?

Yes. You can get FREE help with filing your tax return, in every county in West Virginia, through the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program. These volunteers are certified by the IRS to offer this free service.

The VITA program assistants will help you file your taxes electronically, using the VITA computers and connections. Click here for a map to find out where you can get free tax help in West Virginia.

Where Can I Get More Information About The EITC in West Virginia?

Click here for on-line information about the EITC in West Virginia.

Click here for the IRS web page about the EITC.

This is general legal information. For guidance about your situation, talk to a lawyer.