Replacing Lost or Damaged lmportant Documents

Last Updated On: 7/5/2016 2:49:29 PM

I lost my Driver’s License. Where can I go to replace it?

Contact the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles at 304-558-3900. Individuals who have been affected by the 2016 flooding will not be required to provide any documentation or pay the duplicate license/identification card fees in order to obtain a replacement of their license or ID. The DMV offices will verify their identity from the individual’s previous photo in the DMV system.

No proofs of residency will be required unless the applicant requests to change their address from what is currently in the DMV system. If a change is requested the applicant must provide two proofs of residency. Currently this is only for a duplicate replacement of their current document. This will only apply to individuals affected by the recent floods.

For more information go to 

How do I replace my Social Security Card?

There is not a current emergency procedure to replace a Social Security card. You need to complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5) found here.

You need another form of identification, such as a driver’s license. The process is explained on the Social Security website at You can also call 1-800-772-1213 or visit a local Social Security office.

How do I replace my birth certificate or marriage license?

For records from West Virginia you should contact the Health Statistics Center at DHHR. Call 1-877-448-3953 or go to for more information.

You can request records in person (Charleston), by mail or online. If you are not able to pay for copies, you may be able to work with a charity or state agency to get a copy for free (W.Va. Code Section 16-5-29(c)).

To request these records from other states, visit the National Center for Health Statistics website at

I lost financial records. Where can I go to replace them?

  • Lost Checks- Call your bank as soon as possible. The bank will tell you how to report lost checks and get replacements.
  • Debit/Credit cards – Contact the financial institution that issued the card as soon as possible. If you do not know the number call the FDIC at 1-877-275-3342. You should call even if you do not need a new card. Many banks and credit card companies may be willing to waive some fees and payments due to disasters.
  • Titles to deeds – Records department of the county courthouse.
  • Income tax record – Contact the IRS at 1-866-562-5227 or go to
  • Mortgage papers – Contact the bank or lender.
  • Damaged money – Mutilated Currency Division of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Call 1-866-575-2361.

How can I replace military records?

You should contact the National Personnel Records Center at 314-801-0800. You may be able to request your records online, by mail or by fax. For more information go to

This is general legal information. For guidance about your situation, talk to a lawyer.