West Virginia Water Contamination Settlement: Common Questions

If you were impacted by the January 9, 2014 chemical spill into the Elk River that caused the contamination of the public water supply, you may be eligible to receive a payment from the class action settlement case. Here are some common questions:

Am I eligible to make a claim for a Residential Household payment?

If you lived in a house, condo, or apartment that received tap water from West Virginia American’s Kanawha Valley Water Treatment Plant on January 9, 2014 your Household is eligible to make a claim for a Residential Household payment. Renters are eligible even if you didn’t pay your own water bill.

What can I expect to receive if my Residential Household claim is approved?

The Simple Claim Form Option is estimated to pay $550 for the household including one person and $180 for each additional person in your household. For example, if you had five people in your household on January 9, 2014 you could get a payment of $1,270 ($550 + (4 x $180)). A separate check will be issued to each person.

Am I eligible to file an Individual Pregnancy Claim?

Women who were pregnant on January 9, 2014 and exposed to the contaminated water while living in an eligible residential household can make a claim for a payment of $1,500, if she has not made a claim for medical expenses or personal injury.

How many types of claims can I file?

You may file multiple claims if you meet the eligibility criteria for each claim type. Residential claimants also may file Medical or Pregnancy and/or Wage Earner Claims if they qualify for those claims.

What documents do I need to submit with my claim?

Documents are necessary to show whether you are eligible for a payment and the appropriate amount of the payment. The type of documents will depend on the type of claim you are filing.

The Settlement Administrator is responsible for determining if documents are valid, reliable and truthful. Documents that the Settlement Administrator will accept include certified copies of medical records, original invoices, documents submitted to a government entity, such as a tax return and sworn statements.

The Settlement Administrator will not accept documents that have been altered, are illegible are inconsistent or otherwise unreliable. The Settlement Administrator may request additional information to support your claim.

Where can I get more information?

For more information, including a video and Frequently Asked Questions, go to the West Virginia Water Contamination Settlement website. On that website, you can also file your claim online or print out the claim forms.

Also, if you have questions, you can call 1-855-829-8121.