Legal Aid of
West Virginia’s statewide Community Economic Development program (CEDLAW)
provides free business and nonprofit legal assistance to:
in WV with limited resources who want to
start or grow a small business in an economically challenged community.
promoting community development to benefit low-income or low-opportunity
facing barriers to work, education, or training because of problems with
licensure, past criminal records, or other legal issues.
Not sure if you qualify? Reach out to us, and we can figure it out together!
Do you have questions like these? We can help!
- What type of employee rules/policies do I need for my business?
- Do I need a partnership agreement if I am starting a business with another person?
- Do I file my business as a limited liability company or some other type of filing to protect my property?
- Do I need to have bylaws for my business?
- How do I file 1099 tax forms as a subcontractor/apprentice?
- Do I need a trademark for my business logo?
- Do I need a copyright for my written material?
- Can I receive assistance in getting my driver’s license back?
- Can I have my nonviolent felony expunged through the West Virginia Second Chance Act?
Facing Barriers to Employment?
At CEDLAW, we are also committed to helping individuals get back to work. We can provide resources to individuals encountering barriers to work, training, or education. If you, or one of your employees, are facing
problems related to licensing, past criminal records, housing, or other legal
issues, please reach out to us for more information.
Before You Call
We can help with legal problems you encounter when you begin to grow your business or nonprofit, but we can’t do the legwork needed to develop your idea. Before picking up the phone, you should have a solid plan in place.
As soon as you complete these foundational
steps, you can reach out to us to proceed:
your business or nonprofit area of interest
business plan, with steps to implement your mission statement
We developed a checklist for nonprofits looking for assistance. Please complete it and have it ready for when you call to start working with the CEDLAW staff in your area! You can find it HERE .