Due to COVID-19, courts may require face coverings for all meetings or hearings. We recommend taking one with you so you are not turned away.

Information for Social Security Claimants/Recipients During the COVID-19 Crisis

Last Updated On: 3/20/2020 7:50:27 PM

All Social Security Offices are open for business by telephone or internet, but their offfices are NOT open to walk-ins. Services are limited to telephone and the SSA website .

I need Social Security help right away! What do I do?    

Call 866-574-2533 (local) or 800-772-1213 (national) for help.

Can I just go to the Social Security office?           

No. Social Security is only setting up in-person appointments if there are dire circumstances.

Otherwise, call. You’ll be surprised just how many things can be accomplished over the phone or online at ssa.gov.

How do I file Social Security paperwork?

You can mail the documents to your local SSA office. You should keep a copy for yourself in case your documents are lost in the mail.

If possible, send appeals by certified mail so there is a record of it being mailed.

I got turned down. Can I still file an appeal?       

YES, but call Social Security first as deadlines may have changed. You can file by mail OR you can submit it by fax at (866) 614-6378 or (800) 871-1882.

If possible, send the appeal by certified mail so there is a record of it being mailed. You can learn more about certified mail at the post office or on the USPS website.

Can I file a new claim for SSI online?     

NO, because this service is not available in West Virginia. However, you can call Social Security to schedule a telephone interview to start your claim OR you can submit a paper claim to the local Social Security office.

Can I file a new claim for Social Security Disability benefits online?        

YES, by visiting www.ssa.gov. You can mail a paper claim to the local Social Security office if you prefer.

What about Representative Payee issues?         

Please call SSA to discuss your situation.

What if I have address or telephone number changes? 

Call SSA or visit their website.

I have a hearing set up. Will I still have my hearing?      

Call the Office of Hearings Operations (888-527-9325) if you have not yet received a letter or call about your hearing.

My claim is at the Disability Determination Services (DDS). How do I communicate with that office?     

Call DDS Clarksburg at (304) 624-0200 or (800) 344-7813.

Call DDS Charleston at (304) 343-5055 or (800) 344-5033.

How do I apply for help from Legal Aid?               

Legal Aid of West Virginia is still open by phone and internet. You can call 1-(866) 255-4370, or apply online. If you receive WV WORKS, you can request a new referral from your DHHR worker.


This is general legal information. For guidance about your situation, talk to a lawyer.